Monday, October 1, 2012

Cheddar Crackers

Cheddar Crackers

I'msure you've seen the posts for Goldfish Crackers on Pinterest, this is that recipe...but I really don't think they taste like Goldfish, these are better! Plus I wasn't as crafty as others by making a goldfish cracker cut out. Here's the delicious recipe! (Try not to eat them all in one sitting, it's hard!)

Cheddar Crackers

1 C flour. 4 Tbsp butter (cold)

3/4 tsp salt. 2 C shredded cheese

1tsp baking powder

1/4tsp pepper

1/4 tsp seasoning (onion, all purpose, garlic, or whatever you like)

1. Put flour, salt, baking powder, pepper, and seasoning and pulse in your food processor.

2. Add butter and cheese and pulse until it is crumbly.

3. Add water one Tbsp at a time until the mixture forms a ball in the food processor. (I think I use about 1/8 of a cup of water but haven't tested that for accuracy.) Take out and shape into a ball, cover the entire ball in Saran wrap or whatever you have on hand (I used wax paper). Place in the fridge for about 45 mins.

4. Now roll that loaf out onto a floured surface until it is approx. an 1/8" thick. Cut out your shapes...these are soft enough to make larger shapes, but the little hands in my house like them their size.

5. Place shapes onto parchment lined baking sheets. Place in the refrigerator for another fifteen minutes. Turn your oven on to 350 degrees.
(Yes, I have baked them directly on the cookie sheet, and yes they do stick some. I LOVE parchment paper, thanks mom for introducing it to me! Also it is imperative that the crackers are placed in the fridge, it really does allow for the cracker to have a better texture.)
 
6. Bake for approx. 15 minutes. (I can smell them baking!)

7. Cool and then devour!!! (Or blow on it a couple times and shove in your mouth....mmmmmmm.)

Yes, I have made this recipe a lot and have done lots of different combinations and here are some of my variations.

  • Add 1 C whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour (a little drier)
  • Add 1/2 C whole wheat flour and 1/2 C all purpose flour (delicious)
  • I have tried all different shredded cheeses (favorite is cheddar, least favorite, but still not bad, mozzarella)
  • Seasonings, I have tried a ton of different things, my favorite is garlic. The only time I went wrong was when I didn't measure and just guessed...so actually measure.
  • I have cut out the crackers and frozen them. (Cut out, place on baking sheet, place in the freezer for anout an hour, remove from pan and place in freezer container.) I haven't baked them up yet, so check back for those results.

Truly these are so darn easy and so hard to screw up!

Happy Eating!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment